Campus Benefits for Veterans
SUNY Cobleskill is Military and Veteran Friendly. We embrace the mantra “Putting Students First” and are committed to helping you make a successful transition from a military lifestyle to an academic lifestyle. Whether you are currently serving in the Military, a Veteran, Dependent, member of the Reserves or National Guard, your service to this country is greatly appreciated. The Department of Veteran Affairs is constantly looking for ways to enhance our services to student veterans so that we might be able to provide a better service to you.
In addition to our Campus Services for Veterans, there are also many more benefits to attending SUNY Cobleskill as a Veteran:
Admissions Benefits for Student Veterans
SUNY Cobleskill understands the unique needs of students that have served in the US armed forces. To ensure these Students receive full consideration, Admissions has implemented the following benefits to assist veteran applicants through the admissions process.
- Admission Guarantee for Future Semesters – Veterans may apply for admission into future semesters by filing an application for a current semester. The admissions office will review then roll the Veteran's application to a future semester (no more than 2 years). A written request is required.
- Access for Veterans – Admissions will conduct a comprehensive review for all "borderline" veteran applications. Additional documentation and interviews may be conducted to ensure full consideration for Veteran Applicants.
- Readmissions Fee Waiver – Admissions will waive the $50 application fee for veteran's that would like to be readmitted to SUNY Cobleskill.
- Deposit Waiver – Veterans may have their deposits waived if, upon counsel with Veteran Affairs Coordinator or an Admissions Counselor, have demonstrated financial hardship or circumstances that would make payment difficult.
- Transcripts - SUNY Cobleskill accepts Military Transcripts.
Benefits for Accepted Students
- Schoharie County Veteran's Discount Program - In an effort to acknowledge the sacrifices of our Veterans who have given so much for home and country, the Office of the County Clerk created the Schoharie County Veterans' Discount Program (also known as "Return The Favor"), with the help of the Schoharie County Veterans' Agency and the Schoharie County Chamber of Commerce. Please review the following website for more information: Schoharie County Clerk's Office
- Parking Fee Waiver - Student Veterans just need to show their DD-214 to our University Police during registration and do not have to pay the campus parking fee.
- Schoharie County Public Transit is No Charge from campus to the Albany VA Hospital. Click here for more information.
- Child Care - SUNY Cobleskill Campus Child Care Center offers a modified rate for enrolled students. The rates are determined by income (sliding scale). The Child Care Center also offers additional support to active military through our relationship with NACCRA, which offers a military fee assistance program. Click here for more info.
- Student Accounts Bill Differment - We understand that student veteran educational benefits sometimes can take a significant amount of time to be processed and paid to veterans. Student Veterans who have confirmed educational benefits may have SUNY Cobleskill bills differed pending the receipt of educational benefits from the VA. Those deferments would be made for any cost that has confirmation of coverage by VA benefits. This can only be done for SUNY Cobleskill costs. Off campus housing is not covered under this program. SUNY Cobleskill will certify all mandatory fees for students and will provide 0% interest loans for textbooks and supplies. Typically this is done to supplement a student veteran's costs as they wait for their educational benefits to be paid.
- SUNY Cobleskill Participates in the Veterans Tutorial Assistance Program. Click here for more information.
- On-Campus Housing Residency Waiver - While SUNY Cobleskill requires all freshmen and sophomores to reside on-campus unless they live within 60 miles of the college, this residency requirement is waived for all students who have served on active duty and are receiving VA educational entitlements.
- Deployments Without Penalty - Students serving in the military who are placed on active duty during a semester may withdrawal and return to the university normally without academic penalty. However, it is left to the discretion of the course instructor to determine the appropriate course of action depending on the course of study. Students will need to provide the university a copy of official orders and follow the normal Leave of Absence Policy.
- Military Credit Evaluation - SUNY Cobleskill will evaluate your military transcripts (JST, CCAF) and provide as much transfer credit as possible in accordance with your program of study and university policies. Click here for more information.
- VA Work Study - SUNY Cobleskill is an approved Work Study site for the Department of Veteran Affairs. Click here for more information and application.
- Veteran's Lounge, Warner Hall room 105. Dedicated space for student veterans that includes a comfortable "living room" environment, separate computer lab (with CAC readers) and peer support office. Come hang out and watch TV, get a cup of coffee, work on homework...it is your space.
Webucator Online Self-Paced Classes - Exclusively Free for student veterans!! -- These are online self-paced courses that provide access to training on various areas, such as; frequently utilized software programs (Microsoft Office Suite, Windows, Java, Oracle, and much more), social media (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and more), and general programs such as Customer Service, Professional Writing and much more. If you are interested, please contact Matthew LaLonde at email@example.com for access.