Applying for Federal Financial Aid
SUNY Cobleskill’s FAFSA School Code: 002856
- Apply for your Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) at https://studentaid.gov/fsa-id/create-account/launch. Parents of dependent students will also be required to apply for a FSA ID. The FAFSA
must be signed electronically with this FSA ID.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.studentaid.gov. All students must complete the FAFSA to be considered for the Pell Grant, Direct
Student Loans, Work Study SEOG. The recommended priority deadline for campus-based
aid is February 15 for the fall semester.
To view more videos on how to apply for aid, check out our video gallery.
- Once your application is processed you will receive an email with a link to your Student
Aid Report. This report will contain your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) as determined
by the information you provided in your FAFSA. The EFC is used to calculate the amount
of your Pell Grant and other federal aid amounts. Please note that the EFC is only
an estimate of what the federal government thinks you can afford to pay for college.
A “zero” EFC does NOT necessarily mean that your family won’t have to pay anything
toward your college costs.
- SUNY Cobleskill will have access to your completed FAFSA within two business days.
Continuing students, as well as newly accepted students, are “packaged” with their
financial aid awards on an ongoing basis. New students will receive their award letter
in the mail. Continuing students will receive an email notifying them that their financial
aid award information is available in Bannerweb.
- FAFSA FOLLOW UP: Your FAFSA may be selected for a process called “verification” by
the US Department of Education. In this process, the SUNY Cobleskill Financial Aid
Office is required to review your FAFSA information to ensure accuracy. If selected,
you will receive a list of required documents. It is extremely important that you
provide the required documents as soon as possible. Failure to provide these documents
will prevent you from receiving federal student aid and you will be responsible for
all tuition and charges until the verification process is complete.
Learn more about the verification process
Applying for TAP (New York State Residents Only)
SUNY Cobleskill’s TAP Codes:
3015 – Associate
6015 – Bachelor's
- A FAFSA must be completed before a TAP application can be filed. New York State residents
attending NYS schools will have the option to link directly to the TAP application
from the FAFSA submission confirmation page. Select the link that says “File Your
TAP Application Now.” If you do not complete your TAP application when you get this
link you must wait 3-4 business days for Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC)
to receive and process your completed FAFSA. The TAP application is available at https://www.tap.hesc.ny.gov/totw.
- Once your application has been processed you will receive a TAP/State Scholarship
Award Notice. If additional information is needed to process your TAP award you will
receive a Request for Information from NYS Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).
Be sure to respond to this request immediately to avoid processing delays. Failure
to complete the TAP application will not delay your SUNY Cobleskill financial aid
award determination. TAP awards will be estimated based on FAFSA income information
until the application is complete.