Apply // HEERF // Careers at Cobleskill

Admitted International Student Info


Entry into the United States

Passports and Visas

Generally, as an international student, you must obtain a passport from your government and a visa from a United States Consulate or Embassy to be eligible to enter the United States. After receiving an acceptance letter, you must provide a registration deposit before a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) can be issued by the college. This form is needed to apply for a student visa (F-1).

Note: You will also need these documents (passport, I-20, financial documents) at the U.S. port of entry. Make sure they are easily available to you as you enter the U.S. Do not leave them in your luggage or in your home country.

You are strongly encouraged to apply for a U.S. student visa as soon as possible after you have received your I-20 from SUNY Cobleskill. Please note that a fee must be paid before a required visa interview can be scheduled. The fee is called a "SEVIS fee," and the SEVIS number on your I-20 must be provided to pay the fee. It may take significant time for visa processing. Please allow sufficient time to plan for your travel to the United States. You should plan to obtain your visa and arrive in time to attend the International Student Orientation program in mid-August.

Please note that you are not permitted to enter the United States more than 30 days before the start date in Item 5 of your I-20 form.

Reminder: Your I-94 number is now stored online. You can retrieve your I-94 number online if you are asked to provide that information.