Apply // HEERF // Careers at Cobleskill

Information for International Students Wishing to Enter Canada as Visitors



If you plan to travel to Canada and stay less than thirty (30) days, you must obtain a Canadian visa unless you are a citizen of one of the following countries:

Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, Falkland Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, holders of Government of Honk Kong Special Administrative Region Passport, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (national passport holders only), Italy, Japan, South Korea, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Montserrat, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn Island, Portugal, St. Helena, St Kiss and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Turks & Caicos Island, United States (including permanent residents), United Kingdom and Western Samoa. 

Obtaining a visa the same day for those who apply in person is possible for citizens of most countries. However, certain countries have a mandatory ten (10) day processing time. Those countries are Afghanistan, Algeria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, holders of Palestinian travel documents, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria and Belarus, People's Republic of China, Egypt, Estonia, Georgia, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Morocco, Russia, Tadjikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Yemen.

To obtain a Canadian visa, you may apply by mail or in person during business hours at the Canadian Consulate in either Buffalo, NY or New York City. There is a processing fee for each single or multiple entry visa. Only certified checks or money orders payable to the Canadian Consulate General (or cash if you are applying in person) are acceptable. This fee is waived for nationals of Portugal and Turkey, due to bilateral agreements between Canada and those countries.

To apply for a visa in person, you should report to:

Immigration Section
Canadian Consulate
3000 HSBC Center
30th Floor
Main & Seneca Streets
Buffalo, NY 14203-2884
(716) 858-9501
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.

Immigration Section
Canadian Consulate
1251 Avenue of Americas
22nd Floor
New York, NY 10020-1175
(212) 596-1628
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.

When you visit the Consulate, you must have with you your valid passport, I-94, two (2) passport-type photos taken within the last six (6) months, the application fee, and any other documents which will satisfy the officer that you are entering Canada for a temporary purpose (i.e., bank statements, letter of invitation from a friend or relative in Canada). You must also have a valid, signed Form I-20.

Applications by mail are usually processed and passports returned within two (2) working days if you are from a country which does not have a waiting period for processing. Be sure to provide ALL required documents. Incomplete applications will be refused. Be sure to provide a postage paid envelope. Documents are returned through regular mail only.

The following documents must be submitted in order to obtain the visitor's visa by mail: application for a visitor's visa and supplementary form, processing fee (certified check or money order only) payable to the Canadian Consulate General, valid passport or travel document, valid U.S. I-94 form (entry/departure record), valid U.S. I-20 (original copy or new copy with current signature of SUNY Cobleskill primary designated school official on the back), evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself, any document which relates to the purpose of your visit (i.e., letter of invitation from a Canadian business, relative or sponsoring organization or conference registration materials), two (2) passport photos (write your name and date of birth on the back of each photo), and pre-paid self-addressed return envelope.